Thursday, April 2, 2009

I'm turning into my mother

I've decided to start trying to sew again. I know enough to think that I can sew, but not enough to know how to sew things that really look good. I'm hoping to change that. I just made a baby sling for a friend and loved how great it was to sew it and finish it, that I decided to finish sewing a dress for Leah that I started when she was about 1 week old. I worked on it today and am actually quite close to being finished. Wanted to post a picture of the little matching panties that I made tonight (of course pictured next to the number 1 tool for sewing: an iron - I learned that from my mom). I will post the dress when it's finished. I'm hoping it's going to actually fit Leah. The length seems like it might be a bit short (Leah's seems really long for how skinny she is) so I'm going to add some to the bottom hem.

I thought of you tonight Mom, as I was sewing. First of all, my sewing machine was out in the living room (remember when you didn't have a sewing room so the sewing machine was in the family room?) and I had the volume on the TV turned way up so I could hear ER. What made me think of you most was when I had to pick out a few stitches. It might've been a little more than a few, but I remember you telling me how Grandma would tell you to pick out your mistakes or you wouldn't be happy with the final result when she was teaching you to sew. I just can't figure out why I didn't really really learn to sew when I lived close to you? What a mystery. Does anyone know how confusing it is to ask your mom how to sew on bias tape over the phone and try to understand? I think I got it, though. Thank goodness we put in the zipper while you were here!

1 comment:

  1. yes- I do understand how hard it is to get sewing info over the phone. I have gone to scanning the pattern and taking pictures of what I have so she can understand what I am questioning her about- try it!

    ReplyDelete