Saturday, April 16, 2011

the potty part that wasn't {warning: gross post below}

I had a really good idea a week ago or so. I decided it was high time for Leah to join the world of big girls and princess panties. Let's be honest, I'm really just growing tired of spending so much hard-earned money on diapers. I mean, there are so many more fun things to buy, right? So, in mentioning that I was planning on doing the potty training thing, a good friend informed me that I just had to have a potty party. "Make it a big deal," she said. Ok, I can do that. We made cupcakes, we bought balloons, we welcomed a lovely little frog potty into our home to live, we even bought the plain (cheaper) panties and convinced Leah that they were really princess panties. The party was to commence at 3pm, after Leah returned from preschool.

It started out very promising, as I pumped her full of juice, soda, chocolate milk, water. Anything to fill her little bladder up. We then took all of her clothes off (I know this sounds weird, but many have informed me that this is how you do it) and waited around. We tried out sitting on the little frog potty, we tried to "go", we even tried to sit on the big potty. No luck. That little frog potty is just as pristine today as the day we brought him home from the store. The highlight of the party was when I looked over and saw a piece of, well, poop on the floor. Who knows how or when it got there (well, I guess I know how, but the question is really how I didn't notice...). It was gross. I ceremoniously cleaned it up and continued to encourage Leah to try to go. No deal. Early evening and one wet carpet spot later, Leah was fighting me to even sit down on the potty. It was at about that moment that I decided we were going back to diapers. I mean, it's pretty lame to have to change diapers, but it's worse to have clean it up off the floor. And while we're on the subject, how come there wasn't any pee next to the poop? I mean, who poops without peeing?? Is that even possible?


So, there was one little guy who really enjoyed the potty party, and more specifically the cupcakes at the potty party. The picture at the top of the post is of Leah's cupcake, barely touched. She was quite ladylike about it. Ian, on the other hand, annihilated his cupcake. He took it in his two fists and went to town. It was impressive. Almost as impressive as Leah's short potty training career. We've put that idea away for another time and another day...

2 comments:

  1. ok Becca, the "potty party", i'm sure it WAS a wonderful idea for another child, but our little Leah is, well let's face it, a lot savvier than that! come on Becca, let's get more creative, like how bout a "POT-Mitzvah", eh eh!

    ReplyDelete