Tuesday, October 2, 2012

the most expensive grocery store in the world

 Dear Jenny Wangs (local grocery store here in Beijing),

      I want to take a minute to not say thank you for putting these adorable little mini carts in your store.  What was once a horrible job (grocery shopping with kids) is now impossible.  Neither myself, nor my fellow shoppers appreciate the inconvenience of having to dodge little mini size people running around the store unbidden with mini size carts, trying their hardest to make their mother lose her mind.  Do you really have to park them out front so as to make them unavoidable when we are heading into the store.  And while we're at it, no thank you for your ridiculously high prices.  Seriously, are you really charging $3 for a cup of yogurt?  It doesn't matter if it is imported from France and delicious.  $3??!!  And just so you know, the cans of Hunt's spaghetti sauce cost $1 in the US, so your $3 price tags are a slap in the face.  No spaghetti for us, not at those prices.  And seriously, where is our consumable shipment?  I'm hoping those 1,000 pounds of food will help me avoid the grocery store for at least a couple of months. 
 
 Here these two are, lined up for their grocery cart race.  It's Supermarket Sweep, Beijing edition.  I think Ian would take Leah, if he had the chance. As for me, I'm adopting a strict no kid policy at the grocery store.  Either I leave them home (with the ayi/nanny/domestic help) or I send the ayi and stay home with the kids myself.  I'm sure 3 years of that will leave them acting like orangutans when we move back to the US and they have to start going to the grocery store with me again.  I think I will face the music then and enjoy the solitude now.  Now I just have to find a way around the high prices...


1 comment:

  1. We had some of those same carts at the commissary at YPG- and yes, they were awful!!! My older kids could sometimes handle themselves, but that was NOT every time. So glad we don't have any here. And I also have decided on a strict no child policy, though I fear CPS may knock on my door any day (hehehehe)

    ReplyDelete